Written: Toni Fredrick
St Kitts and Nevis (WINN): A viral alert being circulated in social media about a man posing as a telecoms company technician to gain access into people’s homes did not originate in St. Kitts and Nevis, say Police and the Defence Force.
The post contained a photograph of a man, claims that he is an ex-soldier who once he gains access to homes, robs the homeowners.
Contacted Thursday, Public Affairs Officer with the St. Kitts and Nevis Defence Force, Captain Kayode Sutton indicated that the man in the photograph had never been a member of the Force.
“I think it’s just a situation where something was forwarded to someone from somewhere and they forwarded it around because the person in the picture does not exist in the St Kitts-Nevis Defence Force, was never a member of the St Kitts-Nevis Defence Force, and also the name, we never had anyone by the name of Nimblet in the St Kitts-Nevis Defence Force. Also what is wrong and false with that information that is circulating as well is the serial number of that acclaimed soldier that is not our serial numbering style. So the information is false the person in the picture was never a member of the St Kitts-Nevis Defence Force either regular force or reserves. It’s a false alarm people have nothing to fear. I am not even sure that the person is residing in St Kitts.”
Captain Sutton says the image and accompanying message was being circulated in Antigua as well.
“I actually got a call from a close professional friend from the Antigua & Barbuda Defence Force who indicated to me that there’s a picture with the name Nimblet the same one circulating in St Kitts, circulating in Antigua and causing alarm in Antigua. So it’s causing false alarm in two countries and we don’t know where else it is circulating.”
Captain Sutton told WINN he was with senior members of the police force when he too received a copy of the message.
“It came to attention while we were in a meeting and so the information had just gotten to the police as well and it does not appear any report had been made to them because they were also surprised.”
Meantime, Commander for District A, Police Superintendent Cromwell Henry, told WINN that the Force had received no reports of man posing as a technician to gain access into peoples’ homes.
“I’m aware of that report that has been circulating but up to this point I am not aware of any official report made to the police of anyone posing as a technician at their residence.”
Thursday afternoon, the Defence Force issued a formal statement about the matter, reiterating what Captain Sutton had told WINN FM.
It goes on to say that the SKNDF remains committed to curbing criminal activity in the Federation, and it urges the public to continue to support and cooperate with the security forces’ in that regard.